To be tested for diabetes, people have to consult a doctor who specializes in diabetes. The doctor will usually start by understanding the person's medical history and ordering laboratory tests to measure blood glucose. Some of the tests for diabetes are:
The Fasting Plasma Glucose Test is a test to measure how much glucose is in your blood.
This test is done on an empty stomach for 8 hours. If the result is less than 100 mg/dL, it is normal. Between 100 and 125 mg/dL means you have prediabetes, and 126 mg/dL or higher means you have diabetes.
The Haemoglobin A1C test is a blood test that checks how well your diabetes medication is working.
This test measures the level of sugar attached to red blood cells over the last 3 months. The Haemoglobin A1C test does not require you to fast beforehand. If the result is less than 5.7%, it is considered normal; between 5.7% and 6.4% is prediabetes; and 6.5.
An oral glucose tolerance test is a test to see how your body handles sugar.
In the OGTT test, you have to fast overnight. The blood will be taken after drinking a glucose-containing liquid. The blood will be tested one, two, and three hours later. If the result is less than 140 mg/dL, it is considered normal. If the result is between 140 and 199 mg/dL.
How is diabetes managed?
People with diabetes should see a diabetologist regularly to learn how to keep the risk factors under control. There are many ways to manage diabetes, including:
-checking blood sugar levels
1. A proper diet plan, increased activity level, and taking prescribed medication can help keep your blood sugar near to normal.
2. It's important to keep your blood cholesterol levels near the normal range. HDL and LDL levels are important, as well as triglyceride levels.
3. You should aim to keep your blood pressure below 140/90 mmHg.
4.It is important to exercise regularly to avoid becoming overweight.
5. It is important to take medications and insulin if the doctor recommends it.
6. If you want to quit smoking, it's important to have a plan. Make a list of things that will help you stay smoke free. Include quitting smoking cigarettes, staying away from smokers, and avoiding situations where you might be tempted to smoke.
7. You should consult your doctor regularly and have lab tests done to make sure you're staying healthy.
People with diabetes can have different health problems.
People with high blood sugar can develop different health problems. What would happen if your blood sugar level decreased?
A person who has a blood glucose level lower than the normal range is said to have hypoglycemia. Some of the symptoms of hypoglycemia are feeling tired, feeling nervous, having a headache, and feeling hungry.:
If hypoglycaemia is not managed, a person can die. That's why it's important to consult with Patna diabetologists about how to manage blood sugar levels in the body.